Realtek RTL865x Advanced Home Gateway/SOHO Router Chips
The project I had worked on from 2001 to 2005, with our best software team members and hardware/IC
The Realtek's RTL865x product family includes a series of highly integrated SoCs(System-On-A-Chip)
specially designed for home/SOHO networks. Each integrates a RISC CPU, a powerful six port 10/100M Ethernet switch, and
many peripheral interfaces which makes it an ideal platform choice for new SOHO/Home network
The RTL865x chip is very unique in its architecture. The embedded CPU is NOT
for handling data packets but for system control and add-on application.
It's the embedded Ethernet switch that handles most data packets. Common
home networking tasks such as LAN switching, IP
routing, TCP/UDP NAPT, DMZ(DeMilitarized Zone), Virtual Server, QoS
classification, ACL for firewall application, are all switched by the
hardware which requires NO CPU intervention*.
With this architecture, the switch hardware handles more than 90%
of network traffic, while only less than 10% of special network traffic
needs spacial care by software running on the embedded CPU.
As of 2005H1, thanks to RTL865x's switch core, RTL865x based products still enjoy overwhelming performance
lead and has the best performance/cost ratio against all other network SoC platforms
in the Home/SOHO router market.
It is actually the engine which silently drives most Wireless MIMO
routers in market.
*: For applications such as PPTP/L2TP tunneling, IPsec, WLAN, DoS
prevention, USB IP camera, USB NAS server, CPU is partially involved on the
datapath. In case of WLAN router applicatiom, the 200Mhz MIPS CPU together with the
powerful switch core powers the Netgear RangeMax 240 wireless router (Airgo pre-N
TrueMIMO router) to deliver 120Mbps TCP throughput over WiFi and 190Mbps over wired
Ethernet from LAN<->WAN full duplex in 2004 while all other routers in the market
delivers only 40Mbps (Atheros SuperG) over WLAN and 80Mbps over wired Ethernet
- First generation:
(Announced in 2003Q2, product life ended)
Unique VLAN switch core architecture delivers
- True line speed performance at any packet size -
(both 802.3 & PPPoE) 1,488,100pps@64byte per port for
- IPv4 routing
- IPv4 multicast proxy
- TCP/UDP/ICMP NAPT/NAT
- L2/3/4 Access Control List. Supports parsing Ethernet, VLAN, PPPoE, IP,
TCP, UDP, ICMP headers. Supports L2/3/4 forwarding, ingress/egress mirroring,
trapping to CPU, set QoS profile, rate policing, load balancing, auto encapsulation/decapsulation on PPPoE/SNAP/VLAN actions.
- 100Mhz RISC CPU
- 2 PCI devices, PCMCIA, UARTx2, MII
- Second generation: RTL8650B,
RTL8651B (From 2004Q3, in mass production)
- Backward compatible with 8650/8651.
- Enhanced switch core offloads more network loading from CPU
- Hardware acceleration for wireless LAN traffic.
- Enhanced hardware NAT engine, offloads all routine NAT & IP routing
- Enhanced hardware firewall & SPI, filters packet at wirespeed.
- Enhanced hardware Layer4 QoS, provides TCP/UDP flow based traffic policing and
- Hardware PPPoE/IPv6/PPTP passthrough
- Hardware DES/3DES/SHA1/MD5 crypto coprocessor for VPN application.
- 200Mhz RISC CPU with MMU.
- Support up to four external PCI devices, for USB 2.0, Wireless LAN, IDE/SATA
- and more...
In the Marketplace
The following products are powered by RTL865x SoCs(google/baidu/yahoo search
- D-Link DI-604+: D-Link new wired router model sold in China, 8650B SoC, Review (1), (2),in Chinese
- D-Link DI-624M,DI-634M Super-G with MIMO Wireless Router, 8651B SoC + Atheros MIMO chipset,(firmware)
- D-Link DI-624S, Wireless 108G USB Storage Router, 8651B SoC + Atheros SuperG chipset + USB2.0 controller. Review(in Chinese)
- Linksys BEFSR41 v4, EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch, 8650B provides hardware QoS improvements.
- Linksys WAP54GX V1.0, Wireless-G Access Point with SRX, 8651B SoC + Airgo 2x3 True MIMO chip.
- Linksys WRT54GX V2.0,Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX V2.0, 8651B SoC + Airgo 2x3 True MIMO chip. (firmware)
- Linksys WRT54GX2 V1.0, Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX200 V1.0, 8651B SoC + Airgo 2x2 True MIMO chip.
- Linksys WRT54GX4, Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400, RTL8651B + Airgo 2x3 True MIMO Gen3 chipset
- Linksys Linksys WRV200 Wireless-G VPN Router with RangeBooster, RTL8651B + Ralink 1x2 MISO chipset, (Internal picture)
- Belkin F5D8230-4 Wireless Pre-N Router, 8651B + Airgo 2x3 True MIMO Chip (Error in the linked page. The Switch chip is also 8651B, not BCM5325.)
- Netgear FVS318v3 ProSafe VPN firewall router.
- Netgear RangeMax 240-WPNT834, 8651B+Airgo 2x3 True MIMO Gen3, >100Mbps WLAN router!.
KWGR614- RTL8651B + Realtek RTL8185 802.11g WLAN router
- Corega CG-BARMX: 93.9Mbps FTP throughput reported, 8650 based, sold in Japan
- Corega CG-BARFX2, wired broadband router, 8651B based, (Internal pic)
- Planex BLW-54SG 108Mbps WLAN Broadband router, 8651B + Atheros SuperG chipset
- Kyerco KR1 EVDO 3G router, 8651B + Atheros + EVDO card
- IODATA WN-WAG/R - IO Data 802.11a+g dual band router
- Biostar P4TGP775: Home gateway on motherboard!
- P4TAW Extreme: reviewed by Tom's Hardware Guide
- Netami Home Cam II: Gateway with Camera, sold in Korea, a review
- Cyz's wired router, sold in Japan
- Abocom FSW410 11g wireless router, RTL8651 + Inprocomm chipset.
- EtherWAN-0406-G 11g router
- Gigabyte AirCruiser MIMO router, RTL8651B + Ralink 1x2 MISO chipset
(Have trouble with Asian language encoding? Try this online translation